Board of Trustees Report – March 2016: Making Sense of Graduation Rates

During the UNC Board of Governors meeting at FSU on March 4, several individuals made reference to retention and graduation rates.  I thought it would be helpful to give our own Board of Trustees a more comprehensive explanation of retention and graduation rates. I have attached the presentation with my notes.  (It is probably more than you care to know.)

As a starting point, consider this analogy.  If you knew nothing whatsoever about golf and you overheard two people describing their most recent game.  One says he shot an 88 and the other says she shot a 79.  Who would you conclude had the better score?  It is a very weak analogy, I know. There are many differences between golf score and retention and graduation rates. But my point is that when retention and graduations rates are discussed apart from any context or with those who know little about how these rates are measured, the audience would probably be as confused about the meaning of these rates as the person overhearing the conversation about golf scores.

See the presentation here: AcademicAffairsUpdateWithNotesFinal